RE: spin control and laying blame

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: spin control and laying blame
From: Tom Gentry <tgentry@execpc.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:05:31 -0600
<<But a designer with at least half a brain (and that includes everyone reading
this!) can look at a long straightaway that ends abruptly in a hairpin turn
placed 10 feet away from a concrete wall and think to him/herself, "Somebody
might hit that.  Maybe that's not such a good idea."  >>

Then again, as a driver, I would teke that concrete wall into consideration and
brake a little early, maybe take that hairpin at 90% instead of 100%+.  Yes, it
would be nice if the course designer gave me some "mistake" room so I could
explore the limits.  It's still my choice, but it should be obvious to every
driver that on that particular corner a mistake is expensive.

I'm not saying that the above is an example of good course design, only that if
a driver hits that wall it's still the drivers fault... totally.  No blaming
the course designer, the sanctioning body, the tire manufacturer, the site
owner, or an iceberg.

Bottom line... driver responsibility.  I will also point out that some drivers
are idiots, and even worse, some are idiots with lawyers.  That is the real
reason for course designers to be careful.

Tom Gentry
Life is too short to drive boring cars!
'96 Ford SVT Cobra, Mystic #1345/2000 (mostly stock)
'72 Triumph TR-6 OD (mostly modified)
'59 Triumph Model 10 Sedan (mostly in boxes)