Re: The Cost of A-X (long)

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The Cost of A-X (long)
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 11:30:43 -0500
>My comment is from the other philosophy -- running a street car locally --
>so here's that perspective using his as a basis, if I may.  It shows why
I'm
>happy to use the street car/street tire approach, though I do have better
>than a minimum wage job and don't like polo (also not for people with
>minimum wage jobs).  :)  <snip>

Y'all saw the stats in Richard's original message, so no need to waste
bandwidth posting them again. :)  It all depends on how serious you want to
get about the sport.  If you're an excellent driver, you could potentially
win local and regional events this way.  The simple fact that you won't
drive more than 2 hours to an event significantly reduces the possibility
that you'd do nationals (unless they're held within 2 hours of you that
particular year).  It's also doubtful that even if you're the best driver in
the region, your used ZR tires would hold up well against other decent
drivers running on R-comps.  That alone could put you out of the running for
a possible nationals qualification anyway.  But from the sound of it, you're
perfectly happy just running your street car in local events.  To compete on
a national level it would take far more funding (from your sponsors our out
of your own pocket), but as long as you're happy doing what you're doing
now, go for it.  Competition's good, and that's part of the reason I'm in
the sport, but the biggest reason for me is the fun of it.  My old Bimmer's
the most fun I've had for $1000 (plus several hundred in repairs and
upgrades), and I like being able to enjoy my car at its full capabilities
while retaining the practical, reliable econobox so that, if the worst
happens, I can still get to work on Monday.  I doubt my 320i would be that
competitive in H-Stock on a national level.  Don't matter much to me - I'm
having fun anyway!

    - Justin