Re: New car classifications

To: "Team. Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New car classifications
From: Tommy Regan <tommy_regan@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 06:28:12 -0800 (PST)
---richard nichols <rnichol1@san.rr.com> wrote:

> If a skillful driver can compete and win with a brand-new Camaro
> that cost as much as $30k, then I ought to be able to field a
comparable,
> older car and spend as much as $30k bringing it up to snuff.

I'd disagree with this, Richard.  First of all, there'd be no way of
realistically policing this.  Secondly, certain cars do not get better
as they get "revisions" from the factory.  Look at the 3rd gen and 4th
gen F-Bodies.  Prior to the LS1s, many believed that the older and
less powerful 3rd gen cars were better autocrossers.  Some believe
that still.  In '97 a 1992 305 Camaro won Nationals.

Also, consider the later model Corvettes.  I'm not a Vette expert by
any means, but I do know that GM engineered some understeer into the
later later model C4s.  I think '85-'87s are the best handling ones,
but I'm not positive.  A friend of mine had an LT4 '96 Vette and got
rid of it in favor of a MUCH, MUCH cheaper '86 model and is way, way
faster as a result.

I don't think it's _necessarily_ how much money you spend, it's just
how carefully you select the car for the class.  This is more critical
in Stock classes and debatably less important for SP, P, and Mod.

Just my $.02,
Tommy

==
Tommy Regan