Re: New car classifications

To: tgentry@execpc.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New car classifications
From: Gemery@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 15:17:33 EST
Tom Gentry asks:
>So where do I land?

CP.  As someone else wrote, leave the subframe connectors off and
you're ESP.  If you're in California and the subframe connectors
are really important to you, then consider one of the alternate series
that cater to American Iron.

> My point is, I think the point system IS BETTER, especially for grass
> roots level

I counter that it is better in YOUR specific case for the sole reason
that subframe connectors don't impose a huge penalty in most clubs.

Let's say your only modification was improved induction & camshaft...
is that now going to put you up against similar vehicles which have
a score of suspension improvements and no induction work?  It's not
a fair match; the suspension work is going to win.

> I stated previously my reasons for that belief, and I'm still waiting to
> hear what the good points of the bucket (SCCA) system are, or
> conversely why the point system isn't as good as I think it is.

The bucket system is simple.  Car modifications, regardless of make,
determine the perparation level: S, SP, P, & M in SCCA's case.  Car
make/model determines class within the preparation level.  SCCA
may or may not do a good job of classification, but the preparation
levels are very easy to understand and very easy to administer.
It is difficult for a newcomer to explain everything they've done to
their car; bucket classification allows me to ask five questions
to classify a car.

See above for one thing that can go wrong in a point system.
Someone else already mentioned a problem with an SCCA Stock-
legal vehicle being bounced absurdly high for having only R-
compound tires as his modification in one particular point system.

Questions to ask about any particular point system: how do you
handle turbos?  will SCCA prep levels be reasonably classed?
is the cost of improved handling more than engine preparation?
how much weight can be removed before it changes your class?
are camshaft-only changes worth more or less than
compression increases or does that depend on car make/model?

Follow me carefully here: both systems have classification troubles
because newcomers don't have awareness of what to optimize and
driving skill still outweighs car prep.  In neither system does the right
equipment equate to $$.

George Emery
gemery@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/gemery