Re: course design

To: RacerRay52 <RacerRay52@aol.com>
Subject: Re: course design
From: Rocky Entriken <RENTRIKEN/0003006623@MCIMAIL.COM>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 18:34:26 -0500 (EST)
Ray--

I absolutely agree that a course should not be a confusing maze. The challenge
should not be finding your way.

My point is that, beyond that, if you want to drive WELL, you'd better
memorize. Memory should not be a factor in whether or not you DNF, but it
is very much a factor in whether or not you might win a close contest.

"...but you just get your 3 or 4 shots..."

But you can walk it as many times as you can stand to, depending on when it
is set up and when they shut off coursewalks to begin running cars.

At the average local event, I may walk it only once. At Divisionals I am
usually around the course 3-4 times (each one, there are two); and at Nationals
I've probably done each course 6 times. And I know drivers who do 3-4 times
that many coursewalks.

As a result, even if the course IS confusing, I tend to adopt the attitude
that if I DNF, it is my own damn fault. If I see that confusion early in the
morning, I may point it out to the event chair and suggest a fix (up to him
whether he does it or now ... often they do). If I am not there in time to do
that, well ... *I* was not there in time.

Untimately, the responsibility for doing well is mine and mine alone.

--Rocky