RE: Image Awareness (aww, how cute)

To: "'Moore, John'" <jmoore@spyglass.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Image Awareness (aww, how cute)
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:31:19 -0600
John,

You beat me to the punch!  Much as my ego hates to see a special "advantage"
for women (I'm a young white male... the downtrodden minority!) there needs
to be a way to showcase the talents of women drivers in order to get them
accepted in the mainstream of motorsport.  Who knows, when that happens then
those of us with more ego than talent will have to stay home and watch on
ESPN2 (don't get Speedvision yet  :(

With the exception of Denise McCluggage, Shirley Muldowny and Lynn St James
I personally can't think of any other prominant female drivers (outside of
autocross).    Yet all three of those ladies have proven that they can
compete SUCCESSFULLY with their male counterparts.  Given the right cars of
course.

So let 'em have their own series for now.  Just tell the big boys they're
coming.....  the times will change... hopefully the women will remove the
ego from the sport... not gain their own.  :-)

<rant mode off>

Jim