Re: Image Awareness (aww, how cute)

To: DirtyDogg1@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Image Awareness (aww, how cute)
From: Ghsharp@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 01:18:53 EST
In a message dated 2/9/99 10:14:58 PM EST, DirtyDogg1@AOL.com writes:

> Please, explain to me exactly how much different a woman drives a car
> compared to a man.  "I think that you may find that, there  would not be
> much difference between the men and women when they are equally
> experienced at racing"   That's exactly what I'm talking about, so again,
> WHY SEPERATE???

Well, for one thing, unlike Solo or even Club Racing, at the professional
level there would *seem* to be a lot of discrimination against women
drivers when it comes to which drivers the top-flight teams hire to drive
their cars.  In today's world of cubic $$ in CART, NASCAR, and sports
car racing, you have to drive for a front-running team to have a chance
of doing well, no matter how talented.  Unlike the stick and ball sports,
in which success depends primarily on physical ability, auto racing
requires a competitive car to succeed.  The best driver in the world can
carry a "slow" car only so far, especially with the quality and quantity of
competition in today's pro series.  And historically, very few women have
been given this opportunity in top-flight equipment.

Look at Lyn St.James' results when she drove a front-line car at Indy...
a top-ten finish and rookie-of-the-year honors.  Compare that to her
results when she ran Indy in other years on a relative shoestring.  I think
that's what the WGGT series is about, giving women a chance to showcase
their talent in top-flight equipment under equal conditions, even if it is
only
against other women.  That's much more opportunity than nearly all of
them would have ever had in the current world of pro racing.  And if this
exposure pays off for some of them, they will probably eventually prove
the point that some of you guys have been trying to make here, that (given
an honest chance in the best equipment) they certainly CAN drive just as
well as men.

GH Sharp