Re: Image Awareness

Subject: Re: Image Awareness
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 00:26:46 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Rick Brown wrote:
> While there may be equal opportunity in autox for women, to think there is
> even a remote amount in professional mainstream motorsports is ridiculous.

Maybe.  My experience in trying to find sponsors is that its really handy
to have something that makes you stand out though.  I can tell you for
sure that in mc roadracing at the semi-national level its easier for a
woman to attract sponsors vs. a man (assuming equal talent, etc. etc.).
This is solely because the woman is more rare, and is guaranteed to get
more press.

> This series is simply a place for some
> excellent women drivers to showcase their talent and maybe actually get a
> big time pro ride out of it.  I think we will all be better for it.

I have no doubt that most or all of the women here could kick my ass on
the track.  However, I don't see how having a women's only series is gonna
show that they can compete with men and get that big time pro ride.  Seems
to me that, just like everyone else in racing, the best way to prove that
is to compete in slightly outdated equipment and still run up front.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take advantage of the opportunity if I could as
well, but I think its the wrong approach and will further the type of
thinking that says "women drivers suck" rather than helping to dispel it.

Mark