Re: The Future of Shop Manuals

To: autojim@delphi.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Future of Shop Manuals
From: Ghsharp@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 12:44:15 EST
In a message dated 2/5/99 10:59:44 AM EST, Jim Crider tapped his
keyboard thusly:

> As of '98, Ford's CD-ROMs consisted of a master disc, and one each for Cars
> and Trucks for each model year going back to about 1993 (like 1999 Car,
> 1999 Truck, etc.), with a unified Car/Truck disc for 1992.  The prior model
> years aren't updated much, as you might expect, and the CDs include TSB
> updates and such up to their publishing date.
>
> I'm not sure of the cost to Joe Consumer -- the office had a couple sets
> handy and I didn't have to buy them.  This will change this year as I'll
> need to buy a set for my '99 Cobra (production date currently unknown).

Jim,

Does this mean that Joe Autocrosser can go into a Ford dealership and
buy the appropriate CD-ROM's for his car at the parts counter?  As you
may know, some German mfrs have already gone the CD-ROM route.
They consider them to be proprietary information and AFAIK will not sell
them to the public.  As it appears that all mfrs will eventually convert to
this
type of system, we all (SCCA and competitors) may have to figure out how
to deal with this situation when a protest arises, especially if the mfr of
the
car involved will not allow the competitor to have access to workshop
manuals of some type, as we are required to have now.

GH