Re: TR250 & Late TR6 Frame Differences

To: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: TR250 & Late TR6 Frame Differences
From: "James Franks" <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:18:36 -0500
Hi Don,

If you are going to use the J-type in an early frame you need the late
brackets welded on, or an adapter setup like what Quantum  sells. That's all
you need to remember. A-type works with either early OR late using the late
mounting bolt-on bits. Standard trans works with either.

I left the early mounts on the frame that I modified, but I had to clearance
one of the mounts to get room for the J-type solenoid. If I recall, I took
about a 1" chunk out of it, and remember wondering if I'd be able to unscrew
the solenoid if I needed to without trimming it more.

My locating method was rather crude, but effective. I had left the motor
mounts marked for where the engine sat properly in the engine bay, so I just
bolted up the J-type tranny to the engine. Then I bolted the late brackets
to the transmission, and used a crane and hydraulic jack to locate the
assembly in the frame. I then just tack welded the brackets, unbolted the
trans. to lift the engine/trans one last time to finish welding, and was
done.

If you use this method, be careful that the motor is located properly with
regards to the steering rack location. If you haven't marked the motor
mounts, I'd suggest mounting the rack to get the fore-aft relationship set.
You'll also need the steel trapezoidal mount bracket thingy the late cars
used. Try Team Triumph 330-392-7176 if you need one.

Jim