Re: Ring Gear

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ring Gear
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:13:43 -0700 (PDT)
Ashford  wrote:
Dick my ring gear was knocked back on my car and was the reason that I
pulled my transmission for the 1st time. It is possible that many cars
never experienced this because at the time of their first engine rebuild
the issue was corrected.
[R. Ashford Little II]

Ashford---Quite a while ago TRF Dave confirmed what I saw at the
flywheel ring gear...the TR6 had them on backward. He surmised this end
of the factory never got the word to switch them around, after it was
decided to change the starter configuration. And so now (I think) we
know.  I have to say at least in my case and a few other TR6 motors I've
looked at, it does not seem to be worth changing just for the hell of
it. It's difficult to imagine that the rap a starter motor can apply by
occasional misalignment of the mesh would move the ring out of position.

The more I think about what other ways a flywheel could shake off its
ring gear, is just that. It shakes it off, or at least out of position.
Either thru revs high enough to contort things, and/or something way out
of balance.

Since you have the 250 engine, which side of the ring gear is your
starter pinion?

Dick