RE: cutting down cyl head for '74 TR6, octane, etc.

To: "doug shook" <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>,
Subject: RE: cutting down cyl head for '74 TR6, octane, etc.
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:02:37 -0700
Doug,

Here is some additional info that might help you with your decision:

TR6 Compression Ratios:

1972-76 PI Models : 9.5 - 1
Pre-1972 Carb Mdl:  8.5 - 1
1972-76 Carb Mdl:   7.75 - 1

>From the Competition Prep Manual:

"The first operation with the cylinder head is to measure from the
combustion chamber face to the valve cover surface so present compression
ratio can be determined.  The stock compression of 8.5 is present if the
cylinder head is 3.460" thick.  Later engines have thicker cylinder heads
i.e. up to 3.550" thick."

For 10.0-1 CR the head should measure 3.375"
For 10.25-1 CR use the above figure and machine block for zero deck
clearance.

Hope this helps,

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA