RE: cutting down cyl head for '74 TR6, octane, etc.

To: "dirtbeard" <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: cutting down cyl head for '74 TR6, octane, etc.
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:59:34 -0700
Doug,

This is a question that is more complicated than it appears on the surface.
Generally cars with higher compression ratios (even the UK TR6) have other
engine caracteristics optimised to the higher compression. For instance, my
TR6 has 10:1 CR.  However it also has a different camshaft, a modified
distributor curve, triple webers, and a header. The modified camshaft allows
me to run 10:1 CR without problems - indeed, with that particular camshaft
you need to run higher compression to gain the whole benefit. I must use
premium fuel, but rarely have any pinging. Merely raising your compression
without changing cam or ignition timing can give you negligable power
benefits along with a tendency toward knocking or pinging. For a good
synopsis of this, go to: http://www.elgincams.com/campaper.html (its
primarily about camshafts, but touches on compression ratio and other
factors)

Hope this helps,

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA