Re: stuck bonnet

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: stuck bonnet
From: JASandPJS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 13:28:01 EDT
In reference to the cable isn't broke but the bonnet won't open post, I
received the following replies, thanks to all.

John, '71 TR6
Charleston, WV

>I recently had that problem when I started playing with the positioning of
>the pin/spring assembly on the bonnet.  Try adjusting the positioning of the

>assembly as well as adjusting the pin in & out...seems like mine was too far

>out.
>Todd
>

>Adjust the bullet down a bit and it will not close as tightly.  Tat should
do it.
>Make sure you have it well lubed and that it functions smoothly prior to
closing the >hood.
>Jay Welch
>

>I think what is happening is that your Hood Latch mechanism is applying to
much pressure on the hood release mechanism.  Try adjusting the hood latch by
securing the nut >located in between the spring of the hood latch and using a
flat head screw driver turn counter clockwise to relieve some of the tension on
the hood latch.
>Bill TR-250 CC232LO
>

>As well as adjusting the bonnet latch, you may want to apply some
>lubrication to the latch.  When it gets dry it can get sticky.  Some white
>ithium grease will usually do the trick.
>Terry Geiger
'>74 TR6 daily driver
>Florence, Alabama USA
>

>This might sound silly but I had this happen to me once. I'd pull on the
>release cable and the bonnet wouldn't release. What I found in my situation
>was that everything worked, but the fastener wasn't pulling far enough away
>to disengage from the catch lever assembly. Upon closer inspection, I
>discovered the fitting & screw the release cable feeds through on the catch
>lever had loosened over time, allowing the cable to slip through and now the
>cable was too long to release the fastener completely.
>I fixed the problem by pulling the cable back through the fitting by an inch
>or so (your results may vary), re-tightened the fitting and lubed the
>fastener. I also check it nowadays at least once a year to make sure
>everything's holding together. Hope this has helped.
>Wendy Hart
>1975 TR6
>

>Good advice Wendy.  This probably is the main problem.  I earlier mentioned
to >John to adjust the bullet down a bit to lessen the pressure on the latch
but I think >your diagnosis is more likely.