Re: Air Flow, + No doze

To: <LaJoMor@aol.com>, <tr6taylor@webtv.net>, 6 Pack
Subject: Re: Air Flow, + No doze
From: Shane Ingate <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 15:14:43 -0500
Larry Moore wrote:

> Based on what Shane mentioned...many 'over carbureted' cars...is it
> reasonable to assume that more airflow would be a good thing at a higher
> altitude (for example here in 5,280' Arvada, Colorado) or is the need at
> higher altitudes just jetting/mixture?

Alas, one cubic foot of air at seal level is exactly the same as 1 cubic
foot of air at 5,280'; it is just that the air is a lot less dense in
Arvada!

The problem of "over-carburetion" at altitude is exacerbated.
Normally-aspirated piston aircraft struggle to get to 20,000'.  The solution
here was not to change the size of the carb, but increase the density of the
air in the mixture.  Hence we saw the evolution of the supercharger, the
turbocharger, and the turbo-supercharger.

Without the benefit of a density-increasing device, the only other options
to deal with thinning air are to change the mixture and the ignition
advance.

Shane Ingate, LEM-Lover in Maryland