Pie & Mash Pootlers

To: Black Bart <blackbart@thicko.com>
Subject: Pie & Mash Pootlers
From: David Laver <dlaver@ms.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 10:36:33 GMT
> If you would, please send your team name, car(s) type, and general
> geographic area.
>
> (if your not on a race team, send me the details anyway...we can make just
> about any car into a racer.....)

No team name - I thought I'd wait until at least one of the cars I pass on the
track also goes the distance.  Sara tells me they just give up in disgust
rather than actually breaking but I think she's just being kind.

Based in London - Blackheath to live (workshop in the house - she read a book
on dog training that said to make a space for mess rather than try to eliminate
it and end up with a little bit everywhere) and a share in a railway arch in
Rotherhithe.  She tries to do the same with budget - I tried for a while to
slip a little expense past her every month but the calculator came out and that
was that - three weeks holiday booked that very week clashing with some nice
car events.  Try to do as much for cash and barter as I can.

'Race' car - 1935 Austin 7 'Special'.  Built in the kitchen in the year before
wife.  Home made ali body with 1.5 seats and a boat tail.  Several engines -
none good.  Did one driving test then had three years doing house up. Competed
for first time in speed events last year.  Steep learning curve but plenty of
good advice - especially from scrutineers on how to stay alive.

Under construction - 1935/37 Austin Aprilia.  My hope is that a 1340cc hemi
head V4 should make some differance to an Austin 7's rate of progress...
 Engine is taking a while to build.  Hope it will look like a Zagato Alfa
shrunk in the wash and make a nice road car in addition to offering a
stimulating afternoon of sport on tracks and hills.  Will take a good while
longer but I'd rather get it right, do as much of it myself as possible, and I
think I've a fair bit more to learn from the more standard Austin.   I'm
helping a friend build another Austin 7 special in the arch and am collecting
bits for another two cars for other friends.  Proper little factory !

Team name - perhaps 'Pie & Mash Pootlers' after the East End 'delicacy' (more a
tradition) still obtainable in the cafe round the corner from our arch.  The
pie is eels, cheap, and remembered with great affection by those who haven't
had any for fifty years.

Her car - 1965 MG Midget - has always looked pretty but has taken a number of
mods to make it fun, not all done yet.  Likely to go when the car above is
complete.

My car - 1974 Fiat 1800 Coupe - never looked even close to nice but great fun
to drive, its hiding at a friend's house to prevent her scrapping it.  Likely
to go when anyone offers money for it.

Our car - 1991 Lancia Dedra 2000 Turbo.  As modern and sensible as I would go,
 as unusual and sporty as she would go.  It took a while to appreciate after
the free revving tactile Fiat but its a fantastic car, especially for journeys
which is mostly what she is interested in having a car for. It also goes silly
speeds without upsetting passangers.

Dream car - Lancia Auralia - at last I am actively looking !!   Likely to be a
running restoration that ends up as a fine driving non original car worth so
little that I don't feel embarrased racing it.  She's hoping it will be a
perfect restored car sold to me at a fraction of cost that gets babied.   I'll
keep you all psted.  Would love to do 6 hours at Spa but will need a couple of
years collecting signatures to get there.  Will be my daily driver to ensure it
doesn't seize up.  The Fiat started sulking when the MG was being driven and
the Austin 7 was being worked on to compete.  Maybe this car will displace the
MG if the MG sulks at lack of use.  We've got a lot of offers to look after the
MG !

David