Re: [Spridgets] Need help with my 67 Sprite clutch

To: Phil Sarikas <psarikas@msn.com> 3e4jwj4Lmc5rhvoTvvHVC6N7THGY1qQtGYGLyToM6cfh2g0CQ2VrsqDW61xMGeZjvkoVlSe4d/fqWZTrHCBcpfcrq84gB2OLGiWtkSizHcJSgx8fAfsvlqBG
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Need help with my 67 Sprite clutch
From: Rick Fisk via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 18:19:42 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net

--Apple-Mail-1B923F9A-F2C5-4FCD-A03F-F2765E7D0F80
        charset=utf-8

Forgot the pictures Phil.  :-)

Do you keep your foot on the clutch at red lights?  I don't know your drivin=
g technique, but riding the clutch can cause premature bearing failure.  The=
 only time I push the clutch pedal down is to shift gears.  If the pressure p=
late is bad it can cause failure.  we need to see the pictures.

Rick

> On Jul 11, 2021, at 6:09 PM, Phil Sarikas <psarikas@msn.com> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF So, the engine is out and =E2=80=A6. The clutch plate was in cor=
rectly. Purely by luck but sometime that is ok.   The question Rick asked is=
 still open. I can say that it is the same as the TO I replaced but will vis=
it British Auto Works tomorrow and confirm that I have the right one.  I hav=
e attached a few pictures, the first is a side view of a very trashed TO bea=
ring and the one I pulled. Same profile. Next is a few of the TO that was in=
 there and it is clearly failing.   Why? Last is a picture of the back of th=
e pressure plate where the TO connects. It feels smooth but as I no longer t=
rust it, it will be replaced and a new TO placed back in. Any thoughts on wh=
at would make a new TO die in less than 100 miles of driving?
>=20
> Thanks again for all the help, questions and advice!
>=20
>=20
>>> On t maJul 5, 2021, at 12:35 PM, Rick Fisk <refisk@chartermi.net> wrote:=

>>>=20
>> =EF=BB=BF
>> Hi Phil,
>>=20
>> Are you sure you replaced the throwout bearing with the correct unit?  Th=
ere are three different throwout bearings available for the A-series engine.=
  Photo below from Gerard's Garage website shows the difference.
>>=20
>> Rick
>>=20
>> <image0.jpeg>
>>=20
>>=20
>>> On Jul 5, 2021, at 3:19 PM, Phil Sarikas via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.=
team.net> wrote:
>>>=20
>>> =EF=BB=BF
>>> I need the help of this group to get my clutch working as well as can be=
.  The car is any early 67 sprite with a 1275 and the standard ribcage trans=
mission.  At this point, everything in the hydraulic system has been replace=
d over the 20 years I have owned the car. =20
>>>=20
>>> Over the winter/spring, I had the engine out and did some work to reduce=
 the overall oil leaks and did replace the needle bearings in the transmissi=
on, and a new throwout bearing but nothing that opened up the clutch hydraul=
ic system. =20
>>>=20
>>> Put it all back together and went for a drive and the clutch was clearly=
 not working correctly, I could get it to shift but it often required me to p=
ump the clutch several times to get it to shift correctly and could only get=
 it into reverse if I went to the path of turning off the motor and restarti=
ng it in reverse.  Not a place I can stay.  I bled it as completely as I cou=
ld with my EZ-Bleed and tried it again.  I wish I could say it was better, b=
ut no real change. =20
>>>=20
>>> I have pulled the slave cylinder, no signs of leaks, and no real signs o=
f pitting in the cylinder, and I was going to rebuild it as well as the mast=
er but turns that my box of parts has 2 seal kits for the master cylinder, a=
nd none for the slave cylinder.  As I wait for the local shop to open on Tue=
sday, I looked around on this site and others, and it seems that some have s=
uccessfully applied the smaller cylinder from a 1098 on the 1275, same trans=
mission, bolts up but needs a shorter pin, but how does the hydraulic part w=
ork?  There is no equivalent rubber pipe on the earlier cars?  I like the ru=
bber connection so I would need some work of an adapter to cover from what a=
ppears to be a 7/16 fine thread (20?) on the pipe (adaptor would need to be f=
emale) To a 3/8 fine (24?) On the 1098 slave cylinder (adaptor would need to=
 be male).  Is there such an adapter off the shelf? =20
>>>=20
>>> Is there a downside to the smaller diameter slave cylinder other than pe=
rhaps a bit more force to move the pedal?  I did check with a camera, I am g=
etting movement as soon as the clutch pedal is depressed, just not enough mo=
vement to fully disengage the engine from the transmission. =20
sk@chartermi.net

--Apple-Mail-1B923F9A-F2C5-4FCD-A03F-F2765E7D0F80
        charset=utf-8

oot on the clutch at red lights? &nbsp;I don't know your driving technique, b=
ut riding the clutch can cause premature bearing failure. &nbsp;The only tim=
e I push the clutch pedal down is to shift gears. &nbsp;If the pressure plat=
e is bad it can cause failure. &nbsp;we need to see the pictures.</div><div d=
uote type=3D"cite">On Jul 11, 2021, at 6:09 PM, Phil Sarikas &lt;psarikas@ms=
r=3D"ltr">=EF=BB=BF

So, the engine is out and =E2=80=A6. The clutch plate was in correctly. Pure=
ly by luck but sometime that is ok. &nbsp; The question Rick asked is still o=
pen. I can say that it is the same as the TO I replaced but will visit Briti=
sh Auto Works tomorrow and confirm that I
 have the right one. &nbsp;I have attached a few pictures, the first is a si=
de view of a very trashed TO bearing and the one I pulled. Same profile. Nex=
t is a few of the TO that was in there and it is clearly failing. &nbsp; Why=
? Last is a picture of the back of the
 pressure plate where the TO connects. It feels smooth but as I no longer tr=
ust it, it will be replaced and a new TO placed back in. Any thoughts on wha=
t would make a new TO die in less than 100 miles of driving?
isk@chartermi.net&gt; wrote:<br>
rect unit? &nbsp;There are three different throwout bearings available for t=
he A-series engine. &nbsp;Photo below from Gerard's Garage website shows the=
 difference.</div>
gets &lt;spridgets@autox.team.net&gt; wrote:<br>
nt-stretch: normal; line-height: normal; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&q=
uot;;">
I need the help of this group to get my clutch working as well as can be.&nb=
sp; The car is any early 67 sprite with a 1275 and the standard ribcage tran=
smission.&nbsp; At this point, everything in the hydraulic system has been r=
eplaced over the 20 years I have owned
 the car. &nbsp;</p>
nt-stretch: normal; line-height: normal; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&q=
uot;; min-height: 12px;">
nt-stretch: normal; line-height: normal; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&q=
uot;;">
Over the winter/spring, I had the engine out and did some work to reduce the=
 overall oil leaks and did replace the needle bearings in the transmission, a=
nd a new throwout bearing but nothing that opened up the clutch hydraulic sy=
stem. &nbsp;</p>
nt-stretch: normal; line-height: normal; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&q=
uot;; min-height: 12px;">
nt-stretch: normal; line-height: normal; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&q=
uot;;">
Put it all back together and went for a drive and the clutch was clearly not=
 working correctly, I could get it to shift but it often required me to pump=
 the clutch several times to get it to shift correctly and could only get it=
 into reverse if I went to the
 path of turning off the motor and restarting it in reverse.&nbsp; Not a pla=
ce I can stay.&nbsp; I bled it as completely as I could with my EZ-Bleed and=
 tried it again.&nbsp; I wish I could say it was better, but no real change.=
 &nbsp;</p>
nt-stretch: normal; line-height: normal; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&q=
uot;; min-height: 12px;">
nt-stretch: normal; line-height: normal; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&q=
uot;;">
I have pulled the slave cylinder, no signs of leaks, and no real signs of pi=
tting in the cylinder, and I was going to rebuild it as well as the master b=
ut turns that my box of parts has 2 seal kits for the master cylinder, and n=
one for the slave cylinder.&nbsp;
 As I wait for the local shop to open on Tuesday, I looked around on this si=
te and others, and it seems that some have successfully applied the smaller c=
ylinder from a 1098 on the 1275, same transmission, bolts up but needs a sho=
rter pin, but how does the hydraulic
 part work?&nbsp; There is no equivalent rubber pipe on the earlier cars?&nb=
sp; I like the rubber connection so I would need some work of an adapter to c=
over from what appears to be a&nbsp;<span dir=3D"ltr">7/16</span>&nbsp;fine t=
hread (20?) on the pipe (adaptor would need to be
 female) To a 3/8 fine (24?) On the 1098 slave cylinder (adaptor would need t=
o be male).&nbsp; Is there such an adapter off the shelf? &nbsp;</p>
nt-stretch: normal; line-height: normal; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&q=
uot;; min-height: 12px;">
nt-stretch: normal; line-height: normal; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&q=
uot;;">
Is there a downside to the smaller diameter slave cylinder other than perhap=
s a bit more force to move the pedal?&nbsp; I did check with a camera, I am g=
etting movement as soon as the clutch pedal is depressed, just not enough mo=
vement to fully disengage the engine
 from the transmission. &nbsp;</p>
nt-stretch: normal; line-height: normal; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&q=
uot;; min-height: 12px;">
nt-stretch: normal; line-height: normal; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&q=
uot;;">
Open to any and all input!</p>
nt-stretch: normal; line-height: normal; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&q=
uot;; min-height: 12px;">
eue&quot;, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">
Thanks, Phil</div>
am.net/archive</span><br>
fisk@chartermi.net</span><br>

--Apple-Mail-1B923F9A-F2C5-4FCD-A03F-F2765E7D0F80--

--===============2963785068782466828==

spridgets@autox.team.net

--===============2963785068782466828==--