Re: [Shotimes] Poor mileage

To: `V6 SHOtimes <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Poor mileage
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 09:28:35 -0700
On Jul 6, 2006, at 8:41 AM, <clubairth@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Steven:
> This is NOT correct. Codes stored in the PCM will be read,
> regardless if the check engine light is on or not.  Be sure and get
> the actual code number. Also have the AutoZone guy erase ALL
> existing codes after he reads what you have. I NEVER change or
> troubleshoot until the code is repeated at least twice! Drive until
> the check engine light comes on again and then get the codes reread.
> Then post back to the list.

Hi.  Thanks for the input.  So many opinions :)   To clear this long
thread up, the check engine light only comes on when I turn the key
into start position, which it has always does, (a check to make sure
the light comes on at all I guess)  Its never come on any other time.

> I would recommend that you DO NOT take the car to a dealer. They
> were clueless when the SHO was new and it's only worse now that the
> SHO has been gone so many years!!!!

Yes however for someone like me, I don't really know anyone to
trust.  I think the dealer will at least be there tomorrow.  Same
reason I went to meineke for the brakes, and even against advice, the
new wheel bearing they suggested seems to have fixed the problem (I
watched them take the old one out and put the new one in).  Its nice
to start driving in my lovely SHO and not have a howl come from that
wheel. :)

I'm not a DIYer when it comes to cars.  Computers, yes.  Cars, no,
I'll just mess it up.  When I started doing my own oil in Calif, I
bought a torque wrench and proceeded to use it to remove the oil nut.
In which case Iwas told that probably dorked the calibration, so I
took it back and swapped it (told Sears what I had done heh).  My
father got the car skills.

So I use resources and kind folks like you guys to give me input and
check against what the local person is telling me.  Then I cross my
fingers. :)

I'll take it there and see if I can get any codes out of it.  What is
a good code reader?  I'd be curious.  Also, are there any code port
(whatever its called) to computer interfaces? USB even?  it would be
cool to use the laptop to collect data for awhile.

Now THAT I could get into :)