newsletters

Re: Editors and webmasters

To: john@triumphspitfire.com, newsletters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Editors and webmasters
From: BluegrassClub@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:36:13 EDT
Jim Werner from the Bluegrass Austin Healey Club here. I do both tasks plus a
club Internet mailing list (similar to this one).

 You can see my web sites at <A
HREF="http://bluegrassclub.com/";>BluegrassClub.com</A> and  <A
HREF="http://britishsportscarclub.com/";>BritishSportsCarClub.com</A>.
Also the newsletter is on the Bluegrass Club site.

As far as the web site, we look at it as a tool to attract new members, not
communicate. Once it is done it requires very little maintenance. We have a
club email address information@bluegrassclub.com that we can direct to a
Membership person who responds to inquiries.

Occasionally I update the calendar of events and that is just a copy and
paste from our newsletter.

We also have a club Internet mailing list with 50 of the 70 members enrolled.
We use that for event promotions, meeting reminders, members technical
questions etc. I maintain that and again I just copy and paste from the
newsletter and send out email reminders at the appropriate times.

We also deliver the newsletter via the mail list. It is something we just
started but the advantage is a color newsletter and significant cost savings.
Some of the other Austin Healey clubs have achieved a 90% email only
penetrations.

I use Adobe PDF files. I like the idea that you can print it out and read it
at your leisure or share with a spouse.

For the newsletter I use Publisher. I have a strict 10th of the month
deadline for submissions. Luckily we have a great group of people who
contribute each month so my task is mostly setting the newsletter format.
>From there I copy it to a CD and take it to a digital print shop The CD image
is transferred to the copy machine and the quality is very good for digital
photos.

After I deliver it someone else picks it up and mails it.

That's how I do it. Most of the tasks interrelate and it's not very time
consuming once you are set up. I am always interested in others ideas.

Thanks,

Jim Werner
Louisville, KY

///