Re: L2 Engine update

To: "Nowlan, Chris" <cnowlan@mossmotors.com>
Subject: Re: L2 Engine update
From: "Pip Bucknell" <mgwizard@caloundra.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 07:43:35 +1000
Cc: "MMM List UK" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi,
Early to bed, early to rise ..........................

Re tuning.

Check valve opening timing with protractor on crankshaft.  You can get away
with about 1 degree variance.

Have you checked compressed length of valve spring & campared with "cam x
rocker" lift.

Check spark.  Mine is set at about 36-38 degrees

I use AO 6 needle and it seems fine but you must get the fuel level in the
carbie dead right.  I suppose it depends on what sort of fuel you use and
how much boost.  I richen carbie mixture by 1 turn for each 1000 ft up.

There are some great "tools" out to assist these days.  I am fitting a
LAMBDA meter to my project car.  Very expensive but very fast reading for
air fuel ratio.  There are difficulties using it with Methanol, though.

I am also going to purchase an air density meter as air density really has a
great effect on the mixture.  Lastly, there is a Laser Temperature gun (
hand held) out now. Stanley tools make it.  Range is a bit short of exhaust
temperature but I reason that somewhere down the pipe from each cylinder
must be cool enough.  That will tell you better than spark plugs, which
cylinder is rich or lean.  You can also check for any hot spots in the head

Have you had your distributor re graphed.

Remember my golden rule.  Check everything and then check again & again.
Whilst you have the head off, I would strongly advise checking the face of
where the generator mounts as compared with the top of the block.

Good luck.

Pip