RB 106 voltage regulator

To: MMM <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RB 106 voltage regulator
From: David Stansbie <David.Stansbie@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:47:49 +0100
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
The ignition light on the J2 came on recently after a
gentle trip to Clevedon, a local victorian seaside town.
I preserved the voltage cut out for show but took the
wiring through the bulkhead to a more modern voltage
regultor and converted the dynamo to a two brush one. This
has worked well for 5 years. After the circuit stopped
charging I checked all the wiring for loose connections,
all was well. I then manually closed the points on the
regulator with the engine running whereupon the regulator
started to smoke and the coils burnt out. I fitted a spare
regulator but still no charge. I very gingerly closed the
points and thought the same was about to happen again so
threw the isolator switch. What's going on, advice please.