Re: RB 106 voltage regulator

To: David Stansbie <David.Stansbie@bristol.ac.uk>, MMM <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: RB 106 voltage regulator
From: "J.E.A.Rich" <mmmbob@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:29:18 -0600
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
David,

It sounds to me that the wiring on your J2 is very similar to mine. I, too,
have a 2 brush dynamo with an RB 106 regulator hidden away on the backside
of the bulkhead.

If the warning light came on while you were driving, I would suggest that
for what ever reason, the dynamo was no longer charging. You certainly
proved the circuitry is OK by closing the breaker points!

Check the brushes in the dynamo, they sometimes get hung up as they wear and
need a little help to slide in their guides. If they seem to be OK,
disconnect the two wires at the dynamo and with another piece of wire short
the two terminals together and then run the wire to chassis earth through a
voltmeter or a spare 12 volt bulb. If all is well you will get about 13
volts on the meter (or light the bulb) when you run the engine. If you don't
get anything then the dynamo will have to come off and be fixed.

Cheers and good luck, "Bob".