Re: Clutch

To: britcars@juno.com, mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch
From: Kellmg@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 21:08:06 EDT
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi Lawrie,

Good to hear you are still plodding along with the restoration. Are you
installing that Centric blower on it?

I wish to point out during my seven year sentence with the PA, I didn't
rebuild the bottom end of the engine. Having inspected it, and "playing"
around with the head I installed it. Having the intention of rebuilding
another engine I have had for numerous years in the UK. Fat chance! I covered
12,000 miles on it in three years. Which wasn't bad considering it was the
usual basket case. Finally failing by running a big end bearing.

I installed Carrello rods with the split bearings, original crank [?] lead
conversion on the head. +0.060" pistons. I eventually solved my copper head
gasket leak by having the block milled and annealing the gasket. At least I
don't have that embarrassment
under the bonnet anymore. Did the usual seal conversions on the engine, these
are leak free. Having said that, the original ones were fine. Possibly, the
rear engine original scroll seal was a better idea than the modern oil seal.
My machinist freaked when he saw how flimsy it was. Won't quote him here. But
he did mention the word fuck.

On you interest on the temperatures, Presently, here in Kansas, the weather
has been kind to us. On the 100 mile journey it was registering 90/95' C.
Substantially higher than the previous periods. With the relentless heat, in
the summer here in the Midwest, it looks like it will call for a water pump
eventually. The compression has been raised. Trying to get a few miles on it
for the trip to St. Paul, Minneapolis meet in July. Does an engine get cooler
when it's been run in? Do I have something to look forward to?

Good Luck with the restoration, Lawrie. Just keep smilin' and signing the
cheques.
This time in five years you'll be laughing about it!!!!!!

Brian.
British Cars Web: http://www.team.net/sol