RE: ENGINE OIL

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: ENGINE OIL
From: PMS GB Ltd <Clives_page@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 11:55:59 -0500
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
>I was interested in Hiro Nishio's enquiry, not because I can offer an
answer, but because I too am seeking after knowledge.

It's often said that straight monograde oils as supplied by Penrite,
Castrol Classic etc. are preferable for cast in white metal bearinged
engines.  My own P type has an interesting (but commonplace) combination
of:
a)    Phoenix crank with white metal mains but Cooper S shell bearings
b)    Overhead camshaft with the usual white metal bearings<

Richrd,

I Raced my MMM M Type with this combination.  It would rev at 8000rpm
and nothing ever came out through the side!  I also used it a lot on the
road.

I used either Duckhams 20/50  or later Castrol R40 racing oil - not for
any technical reason,  I just got given 30 gallons and I love the smell.

Both were quite accepable and successful.  But then - I machined the white
metal bearings properly to account for a long two bearing crank!

Regards

Clive
British Cars Web: http://www.team.net/sol