ENGINE OIL

To: <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: ENGINE OIL
From: tnishio@adv.mei.co.jp
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 18:28:23 +0900
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Dear Friends,

In Japan, it has been almost impossible to get any single grade engine oil for
5-10 years. Since all of my English MMM friends suggests me to use SAE30 in
winter and SAE40 in summer to MMM OHC engine, I had to ask my friend's trading
company to import BP-HD40 (need special license, so I can't import it by myself)
and used it for long time. It was very very expensive but no other way, however
I ended up with the crack on the main bearing and then No.1 big end metal has
gone.

Recently some suggestion come to me from Japanese friends. One recommends to use
multi grade like BP Classic (20W-60), and another who uses FIAT 509 (1935)
strongly suggests to use synthetic oil (Mobil 1) with 5% gear oil (SAE90 or 140)
added.
He says synthetic oil is very effective to keep the firm oil film on all the
surface inside engine although it tends to leak more than mineral oil. The key
is to add 5% gear oil, he emphasizes.

Does anyone give some idea about this issue? For your ref, I am trying BP
Classic now for my J2. The engine was rebuilt by myself with little tight
(3/100mm) clearance on big ends and rear main white bearings some 1800miles ago,
it gives 80+ pressure on the gauge in high rev, 30-40 in idling when very warm
after 1-2 hours non-stop drive on the highway at 50-60mph, but I don't like its
quite "dull" feeling then.

Any suggestion welcome. Thank you.

Hiro Nishio
Kobe, Japan