RE: ENGINE OIL

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net, tnishio@adv.mei.co.jp
Subject: RE: ENGINE OIL
From: Richard.Morbey@taywood.co.uk
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 14:59:39 +0000
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Dear MMMers

I was interested in Hiro Nishio's enquiry, not because I can offer an
answer, but because I too am seeking after knowledge.

It's often said that straight monograde oils as supplied by Penrite,
Castrol Classic etc. are preferable for cast in white metal bearinged
engines.  My own P type has an interesting (but commonplace) combination
of:

a)    Phoenix crank with white metal mains but Cooper S shell bearings
b)    Overhead camshaft with the usual white metal bearings

The engine has been thoroughly rebuilt with new components (do our North
American friends describe this as a "tear down"? - sounds painful!) and
the unit has been totally cleansed, so it is "as new".

The oil that I am using for the initial bench running is Castrol
old-style GTX (not the more recent "Magnatec" version) which Peter Green
of MMM Register fame uses in all his road-going cars including the Cream
Cracker P type, (but not in his racers, where Castrol R is preferred).

I intend to use my P type as a road car, so do not need a rocket science
solution, but any guidance that folks can offer would be gratefully
received.

Regards to all
Dick Morbey
(Buckinghamshire, UK)