MMM Engine Numbers

To: "MMM Mail List" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: MMM Engine Numbers
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 16:47:07 -0600
Cc: "Tom Metcalf" <mgtom@bright.net>, "Bill Tantau" <bill707@aol.com>, "Terry Sanders" <taterry@aol.com>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Can anyone provide a reference to the numbering used on MMM engine blocks?

I know the obvious, like the primary engine number and the first set of
suffix letters, e.g 813APB. But what of other numbers e.g. 1528A135P? What
does the 135 signify in this (apparently) PA engine number?

Also, what about casting numbers? I have an engine block with the casting
number 490/100 followed by 40GV35 (the V is actually a triangle, not the
letter V. Is there a list somewhere of what engine types (car types) carried
which casting numbers?

Regards,
Lew Palmer

British Cars Web: http://www.team.net/sol