Re: MMM Engine Numbers

To: lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net, mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MMM Engine Numbers
From: Bill707@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 20:26:05 EST
Cc: mgtom@bright.net, Bill707@aol.com, TATERRY@aol.com
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
In a message dated 11/10/00 14:45:40, lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net writes:

<< Can anyone provide a reference to the numbering used on MMM engine blocks?

I know the obvious, like the primary engine number and the first set of

suffix letters, e.g 813APB. But what of other numbers e.g. 1528A135P? What

does the 135 signify in this (apparently) PA engine number?

135P indicates it's a PA, 199PB... a PB. The same numbers appear on the
gearbox as well without the letters. Nice to know if you are sorting thru
boxes looking for that elusive PB box!

Also, what about casting numbers? I have an engine block with the casting

number 490/100 followed by 40GV35 (the V is actually a triangle, not the

letter V. Is there a list somewhere of what engine types (car types) carried

which casting numbers? >>
Allison tells me that these are just different foundries. Between the water
plates on my PA block I have an MC in an oval with a C below it... on the PB
block a MM in a diamond with a D below.

Bill Tantau

British Cars Web: http://www.team.net/sol