Re: [Healeys] BN2 back axle

To: mike brooks <hypercubic@yahoo.co.uk>, Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN2 back axle
From: Bob Haskell <rchaskell@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 16:40:24 -0400

--------------Y0S944pf4uJv42yBya2ltvIH

Mike,

The bearings are lubricated with the rear axle oil.  No grease. Oil
flows between the axle shaft and the axle housing to around to the
bearing.  Yes, the paper gasket has to be oil tight.  The oil seal keeps
the oil from lubricating the brake shoes.

Bob Haskell
Austin-Healey 3000 roadster registrar

On 3/17/24 16:13, mike brooks via Healeys wrote:
> Can someone explain how the hub oil seals are meant to work. They are
> inbord of the hub bearings. Are the hubs meant to be packed with
> grease? ( the service manual suggests they should, but the same manual
> doesn't tell you to pack the hub with grease when changing hub
> bearings and seals). Is the back axle oil intended to pass across the
> oil seal to the hub bearing? If so, then the paper gasket in the hub
> flange to half-shaft joint will need to be oil tight.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Mike Brooks
> 56 BN2
> Scotland
>
> Yahoo Mail: Search, organise, conquer
> <https://mail.onelink.me/107872968?pid=NativePlacement&c=Global_Acquisition_YMktg_315_EmailSignatureGrowth_YahooMail:Search,Organize,Conquer&af_sub1=Acquisition&af_sub2=Global_YMktg&af_sub3=&af_sub4=100000945&af_sub5=OrganizeConquer__Static_>

--------------Y0S944pf4uJv42yBya2ltvIH

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>
  </head>
      Oil flows between the axle shaft and the axle housing to around to
      the bearing.  Yes, the paper gasket has to be oil tight.  The oil
      seal keeps the oil from lubricating the brake shoes.<br>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">Bob Haskell
Austin-Healey 3000 roadster registrar</pre>
      Healeys wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:14381424.8830247.1710706416446@mail.yahoo.com">
      Can someone explain how the hub oil seals are meant to work. They
      are inbord of the hub bearings. Are the hubs meant to be packed
      with grease? ( the service manual suggests they should, but the
      same manual doesn't tell you to pack the hub with grease when
      changing hub bearings and seals). Is the back axle oil intended to
      pass across the oil seal to the hub bearing? If so, then the paper
      gasket in the hub flange to half-shaft joint will need to be oil
      tight.
            id="ymail_android_signature_link"
href="https://mail.onelink.me/107872968?pid=NativePlacement&amp;c=Global_Acquisition_YMktg_315_EmailSignatureGrowth_YahooMail:Search,Organize,Conquer&amp;af_sub1=Acquisition&amp;af_sub2=Global_YMktg&amp;af_sub3=&amp;af_sub4=100000945&amp;af_sub5=OrganizeConquer__Static_";
            moz-do-not-send="true">Yahoo Mail: Search, organise,
conquer</a></div>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"