Re: [Wedge] TR7/8 FI air intake

To: gamerrell@qwest.net, FOSmith@aol.com, buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Wedge] TR7/8 FI air intake
From: FOSmith@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 11:47:15 EST
Unfortunately, California requires a visual inspection as well as a tailpipe
test (and in some areas, a rolling road test).   They consider the air cleaner
box part of the emissions control system.   Until recently, older cars here
became exempt after they became 30 years old and I was looking forward to 2011
when I could do some serious tweaking on my TR8.   Unfortunately, this
exemption was eliminated in a bill passed by the legislature and signed by the
governator in 2003 so I guess we have to get the biannual smog inspection on
our
cars for the rest of our lives.   Don't throw out those emissions components
yet!
Fred Smith
Orinda, CA
2 '81 TR8s
In a message dated 12/30/05 7:11:41 PM, gamerrell@qwest.net writes:

> FOSmith@aol.com wrote:
>

> Is anyone using a K&N filter in place of the factory airbox?
>
>  K&N filter will cause you to fail smog inspection in California so if you
get one, hang on to your original parts.    I'm not convinced that these
offer
improvement, however.    When underhood temps soar, you're taking in intake
air
that's very hot and thin, whereas the original setup takes intake air from a
cooler spot ahead of the radiator.    Cooler air is denser and packs more
energy
into the combustion chambers.
Fred Smith
Orinda, CA

> I run a K&N filter on my 230 bhp 3.5 with 3.9 EFI intake, it passesColorado
> emissions just fine, seems to have plenty of power.  AlthoughI agree that if
> you can get cold air intake as opposed to hot air fromthe engine bay, you
> probably pick up a few horses.
> Colorado difference is that this car is 25 years old or more so it
> hasclassic car tags and only needed one tailpipe emission test, not
theregular dyno
> test.

///
///