RE: Noise in my V8

To: "'Glen Wilson'" <rstca@hemmings.com>,
Subject: RE: Noise in my V8
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 07:17:05 -0700
Glen,
Sounds like a lifter to me - I would be very careful using a motor flush
product, especially on an engine with that many miles on it.  Pull off a
valve cover and check for sludge buildup - if it looks relatively clean,
then I would try Rislone (my Dad's old standby when he would get a lifter
tap on his old T-Bird) or McKay's "Lifter Free".  If you see a lot of sludge
buildup under the valve cover, then it would be very risky to try a flush,
you might dislodge enough sludge that it will plug a critical oil passage
and grenade the engine.

Cheers,
Paul Kile