Re: Dots on big end bearing caps.

To: "Stuart Goggin" <SGOGGIN@au.oracle.com>
Subject: Re: Dots on big end bearing caps.
From: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 18:20:19 -0700

>Hello All,
>
>I dropped the sump on my 3.5 rover v8 on the weekend to investigate an under
>load thumping.  I suspected a conrod bearing or main bearing cap.   I
>checked a couple of the big end bearings and found them to look like new.  I
>chekced all of the main bearing cap bolts and they were all torqued up
>pretty tight. most of the conrods had a little sideways movement, but none
>of them would give any twist.    I guess if a condrod or main bearing was
>worn sufficicently to give a heavy thump under load at abotu 2000rpm it
>would be very obvious.
>
>I noticed some dot punches on the conrod caps.  Some caps had two some had
>three dots.  I think most of them pointed to the front of the engine.
>Are these dots ok to assemble the caps by,  ie line them up to the front of
>the engine.  Do they signify something??
>
>Thanks for any info.
>
>Regards
>Stuart
10/12/99

Stuart,

        I cannot picture what you mean by "pointed to the front of the
engine."  Are you talking about round dots like those made with a
centerpunch??  They certainly do not sound to me like anything original
from the factory.  In days gone by, I have heard of people numbering rods
for later reassembly this way, but that would require 1 dot, 2 dots.....7
dots, etc.  So what these are is anybody's guess.

        At any rate, if you are wanting to remove the caps to check the
bearings, you can be perfectly safe by just removing 1 at a time and
placing each one back the same way it came off.  Check the position of the
tangs which prevent bearing shell rotation.  The 1 in the rod and the 1 in
the cap must always go on the same side.

Regards,
Dave Kernberger