Re: Rover crank specs-reply

To: "Lar Kaufman" <lark@world.std.com>,
Subject: Re: Rover crank specs-reply
From: "The Becketts" <hillman@bigpond.com>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 07:36:49 +1000
Lar Kaufman wrote:
> It's quite easy to figure out displacement if all you do is change the
> stroke.  Your current displacement is 100%.  Multiply that times the
> percentage of additional stroke, and add that to your original
displacement.

I don't think this is true - assuming we mean displacement to include
combustion chmaber space as well.  If we mean displacement to only mean
that volume displaced by the pistons as they move, then it probably is
true.

If the combustion chamber in the cylinder head did not exist and the
pistons had flat tops, it would be true because the cylinder would then be
a true cylinder.  However, in the case of an engine, any depression or hump
in the pistons and also the combustion chamber volume has to be accounted
for.

If the combustion chambers space = A, the piston hump or depression = B (+
or -), and the cylinder vloume = C, then the engine capacity is equal to
No. of cyls * (A + or - B + C).

Increasing the stroke by X percent would change the formula to:
   No. of Cyls * (A + or - B + (C * (100+X)/100))

Regards,

Ron Beckett
Editor / Webmaster, LandRover Owners Club of Australia
Webmaster/Database Manager, Hillman Owners Club of Australia