Re: Rover crank specs-reply

To: tjoyner <tjoyner@frontier.net>, David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Subject: Re: Rover crank specs-reply
From: lark@world.std.com (Lar Kaufman)
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 23:41:43 -0400
Dave K. says:
> The distance in question is definitely the same for the Rover 3.5,
> Buick Special, and Olds F-85.  It seems very unlikely to me that it would
> be any different for the Rover 3.9, Buick 300, Buick 340, and Buick 350.
 . . .

True.  We've already got someone on buick-rover-v8 stuffing a Buick 350
crank (3.875" stroke) into a P76 block, which requires minimal clearancing
and turning down the mains.  And other lists I've read confirm that the
various Buick cranks are interchangeable in the 300, 340, 350 v8s, so
if the 350 fits, the others should as well.

I'm curious whether the same holds in the Oldsmobile version.  That is,
does the Oldsmobile 260, 350, 401 and 454 crank also keep the same bearing
spacing.  (The 260 uses the same 3.5" bore as the 215, suggesting an
easy swap; the 350 was offered with some very tough forged cranks--especially
in the diesel version...)

I'd also be interested in deck height/rod length comparisons, and any
changes made in crankcase clearances.

 -lar
He that shall oppose an assault only with a shield to receive the blows, or
in any more respectful posture, without a sword in his hand, to abate the
confidence and force of the assailant... will find such a defence serve only to
draw upon himself the worse usage. - John Locke, TREATISE OF CIVIL GOVERNMENT