RE: noise at Monster

To: "'Carl Merritt'" <CarlM@RacerZX.com>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: noise at Monster
From: <charlescox@coastalbay.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 10:37:35 -0700
On the contrary Carl. Virtually all headers (after market) produce more
noise, in fact, do not muffle the exhaust in any way, typically furthers
exhaust flow thereby promoting (typically) more power causing more noise
both in the engine compartment, exterior of the car and out the exhaust.

A muffling device must, by its very nature, make the car quieter than
without it...that is the purpose, intent and reason there is a rule for it.

No one has stated in this debate, a can filled with deadening material is
what is required.

Neon SRT-4 is a turbo car and accordingly (and in compliance with the rule)
muffles the exhaust by having the turbo in the exhaust system.  Nothing and
no one has suggested ruling a similar setup or this car illegal unless of
course, it is too loud according to the interpretation of what is "adequate"
noise suppression.

When you are talking about the spirit of the rules, look to why there was
any rule mentioning the requirement to muffle the car at all...for the
obvious reasons, the more noise we make, the more impact on event sites and
negatively on our sport resulting in lost sites, inability to obtain new
sites and so forth.

Saying someone running an open exhaust is in violation of the rules is not
being too hard on them...that is the rule, and for good reason.

Charles