RE: Back to 8 Run Groups, and what it means for SFR 2006

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Back to 8 Run Groups, and what it means for SFR 2006
From: Jim Ochi <jim_ochi@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 11:42:54 -0800
At 10:14 AM 3/1/2006, Scot Zediker wrote:

>* 21 course workers (7 stations, with a flagger, radio and
>   ONE cone chaser per station...consider this the MINIMUM
>   per station to SAFELY do the job)
>
>I beg to differ.
>
>I think three workers per station is more the IDEAL number of course workers
>(duties as you describe).  Two people CAN work a corner station just fine.

I agree with Scot - two people per station is perfectly adequate most of
the time.  Of course, there are always the situations where the station is
a hot-spot of conage, and two people are just overwhelmed.  In that case,
it's the job of the event chair to put more people at that station.

One more comment.  Separating the flagger from the radio may be a safety
concern.  The radio person is the one who is (or should be) the most aware
of what's going on all around the course.  If the radio person hears that a
car has problems (spun, off course, stopped, lost, hit lots of cones,
etc.), he or she should be on higher alert with the flag.  The radio person
is also the one who hears a "red flag" call first - if they also have the
flag, they can respond immediately.  If the flagger is away from the radio
person, there's a delay while the radio person shouts at the flagger.

Anyway, just a few comments from someone who hasn't actually been able to
autocross in quite a while... :-(

Jim