Re: Course Designers: now hiring!

To: sean@spintec.org, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Course Designers: now hiring!
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 00:25:39 EST
In a message dated 1/29/03 8:30:49 PM Pacific Standard Time, sean@spintec.org
writes:

> I'm of the school "I'd like to someday design a course and see how I do on
> it after I drive it."

I like that aspect as well.

>  I'd probably be known as the longest course designer,

Good, that'd take the heat off of me!

> I'm sure I could get a 90 second course at the stick. I'd like to have in
> there 2 overlaps also, one at the start and one before the finish, and in
> opposite directions, gotta even out that tire wear. Do we have enough
> cones?

The trick is how to make it longer without making it tedious.  You can take a
70 second course and slow it down by making the corners sharper, but is it
fun, too?

If I have a loop with a crossover in my course, you'll find that it always
goes the "other way" to equalize tire wear.  If the course is clockwise, the
loop is counterclockwise.  A loop has to be early in the course, and under 25
seconds in length, so that it doesn't slow down the overlapping of cars.
Even 5 seconds longer per overlap X 3 runs X 300 cars lengthens the event by
4500 seconds, or 1 hr 15 minutes!  Anywhere else in the course, and you don't
have enough control over how far apart the cars are...  That spells re-runs!
Yuck!  Event spoiled!

But that's why we're here, to keep new course designers from making mistakes
like that.

CHD