Re: 8 CONE SLALOM (WAS: THANKS)

To: Keith Hearn <khearn@Legato.COM>
Subject: Re: 8 CONE SLALOM (WAS: THANKS)
From: "Kevin Lahey" <kml@patheticgeek.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:39:01 -0700
In message <200006272131.e5RLVMT09618@mail.legato.com>Keith Hearn writes
>In message <001601bfe07a$200825a0$78cc3ec6@JCRE.MOZART>, "James Creasy" writes
>:
>> i vote for a steady speed and very smooth steering inputs.  it has seemed to
>> me that upsetting the suspension with throttle/brake/ or lift just reduces
>> the transitioning-speed and grip.
>
>I've read that in some cars you do want to go on and off the throttle in
>  a slalom (smoothly, of course). For instance, a Miata is more
>  stable while cornering if you're on the throttle to get weight
>  shifted back. So one might want to be on the throttle as you make
>  each turn, and lift as you straighten out in between to bleed off
>  enough speed so you don't get going too fast.

I'd always assumed that the idea was to lift going around the cones
to get some rotation, then power out, then lift into the next cone.
Or is it the other way around (lift on the straights, power on the
turns)?  I guess the real answer is to try it both ways and see
what works for me and my car, but until the next 8-cone slalom, what
do other people do?

Thanks,

Kevin
kml@patheticgeek.net