RE: 8 CONE SLALOM (WAS: THANKS)

To: "'Kevin Lahey'" <kml@patheticgeek.net>, Keith Hearn <khearn@Legato.COM>
Subject: RE: 8 CONE SLALOM (WAS: THANKS)
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 17:08:13 -0700
Kevin Lahey writes...

> I guess the real answer is to try it both ways and >see
>what works for me and my car, but until the next 8-
>cone slalom, what
>do other people do?

I don't think Miatas really liked being jerked around, and they don't like
getting their gas pedals stomped on. They just make this little snappy fart
noise and do nothing. They're underpowered as it is, so everytime you lift
or slowdown, it's momentum lost. So, try to just enter slaloms at full
throttle.

In fact, unlike other cars, because Miatas are so weak, you actually HAVE
to, on occasion, take a wider, swoopier line, just so that you don't slow
down. I got that driving tip from Rad Vach and George Doganis. Didn't make
much sense at first, but I tried it, it works, so I just believe it.

Turns out you didn't need to lift at all in that slalom (of course, I then
entered the left turn too fast, but oops). What you needed was a little
intestinal fortitude. You don't get that without scaring yourself from time
to time. :)

ciao bella,
Katie K.