RE: Starts at Nationals

To: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@bigfoot.com>, Smokerbros@aol.com
Subject: RE: Starts at Nationals
From: Craig Boyle <craig_boyle@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 18:55:36 -0800 (PST)
I always assumed that it was the people with the big
V8 American Iron liked the drag start aspect of autox.

I used to worry about 7000 rpm launches in my Miata,
but it doesn't seem to do much damage, clutches last
me 20-25k miles and cost the same as a set of tires.
Just part of the cost of the sport. On balance, I'd
prefer to have dragstrip starts, but only because I
find the 90 degree turn much hard to get right than
the drag launch.

Pro-Solo's area a ton of fun - and the only spectator
friendly variant of autox. Life wouldn't be too bad if
every event was a pro-solo format and we dropped the
single car format - of course this would be a course
designers nightmare at Oakland/3COM etc.

Craig

--- Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> My problems with drag starts:
>
> - The skill required seems completely unrelated to
> any other aspect of
> autox.  Doesn't fit my definition of "agility and
> handling" either.
>
> - And it makes a BIG difference - easily 2-3 tenths,
> so you have to do a
> maximum launch every run.
>
> - Which is really hard on any driveline, in wear if
> not actual breakage.
>
> With the number of events and runs we get in a year,
> if drag starts were
> common I'd literally be out of the sport.  I can't
> afford tires and/or
> clutches that often.  One Pro Solo a year is about
> my speed.  You might say
> "then why is Nationals a problem", and it isn't by
> itself; but if everyone
> else is practicing drag starts all year and SFR
> isn't (we have a "90-degree"
> rule) that's a hefty disadvantage.
>
> KeS

Do You Yahoo!?