RE: Starts at Nationals

To: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@bigfoot.com>, Smokerbros@aol.com
Subject: RE: Starts at Nationals
From: "John F. Kelly Jr." <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 12:14:00 -0500

Message text written by "Kevin Stevens"

" You might say
"then why is Nationals a problem", and it isn't by itself; but if everyone
else is practicing drag starts all year and SFR isn't (we have a
"90-degree"
rule) that's a hefty disadvantage."

At all recent Nationals, there has been a turn close to 90 degrees just
before or just after the start line.
        Drag starts are usually a part of the Kansas Region's practice
events at National and all Pro Solo events.
        I believe our National Solo II course designers have come to
realize it's in the event's best interests not to have somebody dump
engine/transmission internals on the National starting line.
        I share the belief drag strip starts should not be a part of the
sport of autocrossing. Look at the turnout for a Pro Solo versus a Tour
event. The public is voting with its feet.
         What the Pro Solo world does is under one man's direction, a job
he inherited and a game which has cost SCCA National a considerable amount
of money: $78,000 in 1998. And that's why there is no prize money in 2000.
The "pro" is gone. All the whys of that reality are complicated to explain.
Let's just say SCCA operates best when it stages events for its members'
enjoyment.

--John Kelly