2000-register

Re: Short life of brake pads on my LFC

To: "2000- Register" <2000-Register@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Short life of brake pads on my LFC
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 23:26:46 +0100
>Has anyone else experienced the same problems with brake pads fitted their
>Newer European cars and have they had any luck finding better pads than the
>'genuine' article?

David, I've got an LFC too but the problem you describe isn't necessarily
restricted to
the fact that the parts are of inferior quality. This general issue of what
appears to be
excessive wear is probably the result of the fact that brake pads now are
asbestos free.
Not only is brake pad life noticeably reduced but the knackering effect of NA
material on
discs seems far more destructive. My Renault has done 56000 miles and had to
have two new
front discs last month. This is the first time in my driving career that I've
got well
less than 100,000 out of a set of discs. My mother's car, another Clio, had to
have the
same at 23000. My local Renault dealer tells me that brake discs are now
becoming ultra
fast moving components in his stock and monthly unit sales have more than
trebled over the
last ten years. I'd guess this is the probable cause of your difficulty.

Jonmac