Re: alternator

To: "Brian Evans" <brian@uunet.ca>,
Subject: Re: alternator
From: "Bruce Mansell" <bruce@rapidmachinery.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 08:32:10 +1100
Does this Pegasus switch have dual contacts? If not it will protect the
alternator and all solid state components from surge, but may not stop the
engine unless the alternator cannot supply charge at idle, from what I
understand.

 There should be a large (300 CCA) capacity switch contact and a smaller
contact which would go in line between the 12V charge circuit and the coil.
In this way as Craig mentioned, the motor will have no option but to stop,
thus preventing the alternator from charging. I don't know if this satisfies
your SCCA etc regs, but this is how the CAMS rules are expected to be
applied in Australia.

We have looked at all sorts of different ways of doing this with Start
solenoids in parallel with (headlamp) relays for the ignition circuit. The
only advantage of this is that you can use your existing isolator switch in
it's existing location, as from our experience the two pole switches use a
different bezel and hole centres on the mountings from the popular single
pole isolators.

Hope this helps.

Nick Mansell