Re: RHD

To: simon@mondes.com, Erichreich@aol.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RHD
From: CRodenFSC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 07:13:55 EST
Better still, buy a Riley or similar with a preselecta gearbox as they have a
column shift which is sequential.
The principle of these boxes is that the clutch pedal actually changes gear
whereas the shift only preselects it. You can sit on the line with 1st gear
engaged and 2nd pre-selected....saves time away from the start, accelerate
away then dip the clutch and you are in second!
Apologies if you are aware of these wonderful contraptions....

Incidentally, I have been told that it is possible to scrap the clutch
altogether to save weight etc. and rely on the bands in the gearbox to act
like a clutch. Anyone have any experience of this, before I try it?
Chris R