RHD

To: Vintage Race <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RHD
From: David Lee Mericle <ok3wire@ixpres.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 21:38:51 -0800
I had a RHD Ferrari 365GT 2+2 that I ran in time trials at Riverside
International Raceway with no problems.  Driving seemed to be
instinctive once you got started.  I was stopped for speeding in the
"Queen Mother" once at 110 mph back in a 55 mph era.  The CHP officer
stalked up to the left side of the car, looked in at my wife with no
steering wheel in front of her, recovered quickly and went to the side
with a steering wheel.  Very few words were exchanged and he wrote me up
for 85.  How about that Carl?  A gift?  I wasn't paced but even the CHP
can tell the difference between 55 and 110.

I was also stationed in the Phillipines and flew all over Asia.  I had
RHD and LHD cars in the PI and drove on the right side of the road.  The
same day I could be in Japan driving either RHD or LHD on the left side
of the road.  Fortunately I also had a Kawasaki motorcycle so all I had
to do was remember where I was.

Dave Mericle the Elder
Leucadia, CA  BEACH-N-RIDES