Re: vintage racing and aluminum interiors

To: MRogers726@aol.com
Subject: Re: vintage racing and aluminum interiors
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 16:37:42 EDT
In a message dated 98-06-29 12:24:53 EDT, MRogers726 writes:

<<  I'm not sure what you're saying-- >>

I'm saying that most vintage groups are not doing themselves justice by
encouraging lots of stripped out production cars to get the numbers to make
the entry fees lower.  Then, the guys with the truly interesting cars (like
the Ferrari's, Lola's, real Cobra's, etc. etc.) are less likely to show,
concerned that a guy in a $2500 MG is not going to have the proper vintage
racing attitude, especially when it shows up looking like a modern day SCCA
car, rather than a period vintage racer, researched and prepared to a
particular point in time ('67 latest for CSRG).

Since many of the truly interesting old race cars are now very expensive, its
inevitable that the semi-transporter, matching uniform team set is going to
show up with them (but not always).  Even so, there should be room for
everyone, if all are courteous on the track, and understand why they're there.
Its just as easy for one of the mega-buck guys to show up with the wrong mind
set too.

My point was that unless you first researched HOW you should be preparing your
car to comply with the particular group you want to run with, you weren't
taking the proper step first.  The basic question concerning how to use the
maximum amount of aluminum in the interior indicated to me that this
individual was heading off in absolutely the WRONG direction in terms of
vintage racing car preparation.

Boy, have I stepped into it this time!!

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus (awaiting the barrage) Cortina Mk1 #128