Re: Vintage/Historic 24-Hour Race

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vintage/Historic 24-Hour Race
From: Mike Gigante <mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 21:13:38 -1000
I should have mentioned that the 6 hrs races I have competed in are
relay races.

 Each car has a velcro strip on the front LH wing and each team has a
velcro "batton" which is ripped off one car and placed on another. You
can only join the track if you have the batton.

If you stop out on the circuit, the batton has to come back to the pits.

Actually at the Winton race, you have to run all the way back to the
pits with Helmet and race gear! Of course, you have to head to a
marshall's station and wait till they OK you to cross the track.

At Eastern Creek, you merely had to go to the nearest marshal station and
they would radio the pits where a new batton would be issued.

The relative size of Eastern Creek and Winton are probably responsible
for the difference.

One of my more embarrassing moments was when my spridget stopped on
the other side of winton. I most of the way back to the pits before I
realised that i had left the batton attached to the car. As I turned
around and ranm back to the car I could hear the marshalls laughing
and yelling out "DOH". It doesn't help that I am a big fella and
running speed isn't really my forte :-)

I got reminded about that one for quite a while.

Mike
Mike Gigante
3D interactive graphics, Virtual Reality, british sports cars, and wine
http://mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au/~mg/                mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au