tvr

Tire Sizes

Subject: Tire Sizes
From: "Hill, Stephen M EDUC:EX" <Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 17:33:02 -0700
I am trying to figure out what tires to put on my 1972 TVR 2500. I want to
use my original alloy wheels. Various tires mentioned on the list in the
past include:

195/65 15 Continentals  ?
205/60 15               Nick
185/70 15 Colway        John Upham
205/65 15 Bridgestone   Tim Holbrook

The original tires are 165SR15. Does anybody know what that actual diameter
of the orginal tire would be?? I read somewhere that the profile for this
tire would be 80%, which puts the diameter at 27.3 inches. (A 205/60-15 is
supposed to be 24.7 inches).

Does anyone know of an equivalent ride height in a modern tire?

Any recommendations for a particular tire for performance use?
In a 205/60-15, the Yokohoma AVS Intermediate looks good, or the Michelin
Pilot SXGT, or Pirelli 6000.
In a 205/65-15, the choices are more limited. A Yokohama S4, or Pirelli
6000.

I am still puzzling over John Upham's suggestion in a post from a while ago
that narrow tires are better on these cars?

Stephen Hill