tvr

Re: Tire Sizes

To: William Zehring <zehrinwa@umdnj.edu>
Subject: Re: Tire Sizes
From: Skip Gurnee <skip47@home.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 17:43:45 -0700
Will-
Dangit I was successfully resisting the temptation to share my racer's
mindset but I can't any more:

You can never have too much horsepower, you can never have too much
tire.

I don't believe a ride is harsh until it affects vision.  Comfort is
performance. I may unconsciously ignore some ride "comfort" to be
quicker.  I don't recall excessive increase in steering kickback, nor
increase in oversteer, even when the car was on the street in N.J.  It
seems to me that toe-in (or -out), spring rates, and tire sidewall flex
have more effect on those issues than tire diameter or width.  There was
a bit of "wandering" after changing to radials, and people mentioned
chassis tuning, but the tires were virtually the same size.
Wider tires provide more rubber meeting pavement, so long as they don't
lean so far they use only the outer edge in cornering.  It took me too
long to learn that lesson. My autocross times improved 15-20% when I
doubled spring rates and the car stayed flat in the turns.
Best,
Skip