Re: [TR] Need method for welding floorpans

To: lists02@canleyworks.com, dorpaul@negia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Need method for welding floorpans
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 12:53:55 EST
In a message dated 1/8/2007 9:20:27 AM Central Standard Time,
lists02@canleyworks.com writes:
> Years ago I had an opportunity to closely inspect the TR2
> that Tom Householder purchased from the Harrah's collection.
> One interesting feature that I noted was the installation
> of the floor pans. The top edges were _not_ seam welded
> to the sills, but were just left with the edges exposed
> and the whole affair covered with carpet. They didn't even
> lay flat against the sills; there was a noticeable gap
> visible. There was no obvious evidence that these were
> replacements, and it seems unlikely as this car had not
> seen hard use.
>
> I don't recall exactly how the floor pans were attached,
> but I assume they were tack welded much as you describe.

When you consider that seam welding is a much longer process than spot
welding it is logical to assume that they were spot welded.  In the same manner
the
TR6 inner and outer sills both have flanges that are spot welded together and
the joint is covered by the draft excluder that clips on over the protruding
edge.  Fast, efficient and good enough.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org